Re: engine mod questions

>I AM PLANNING ON TAKING MY 16V OUT OF MY 87 ROCCO AND I WAS WONDERING IF
>ANYONE HAD ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT REBUILDING IT FOR PERFORMANCE. I WANT TO BORE
>THE BLOCK OUT AND PUT BIGGER PISTONS IN IT AND ALSO PORT AND POLISH THE HEAD
>AND PUT NEW CAMS IN IT. I AM NOT REALLY SURE HOW MUCH I SHOULD HAVE IT BORED,
>DOES ANYONE KNOW OF PERFORMANCE REBUILD KITS FOR SALE FOR THE 16V. I WANT TO
>TRY TO GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF IT BY REBUILDING IT BEFORE I MESS WITH
>TURBO'S, I WANT TO TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM TURBO'S SO I DONT HAVE THAT TURBO
>LAG. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT YOU CAN STROKE THE MOTOR, DO YOU HAVE TO GET A NEW
>CRANK OR CAN YOU USE THE OLD ONE?? LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK OF ANYTHING.
>
>GEOFF MORTON
>87'ROCCO 16V

As I'm sure you've heard by now, caps==shouting. :)

Anyway, if you want the best performance, start with a 2L 16v shortblock.
It'll be easier in the end.  Rebuild kits are just packages of seals
or bearings...whatever you want to replace actually.  The best deals
can be had from our favorite list parts suppliers.  Adirondak Auto Brokers,
or Virtual World Parts.  Links to both are in the links section of
scirocco.org.  I can see that you probably have quite a bit to learn
about how engines work, as stroking an engine means replacing the
crank as I'm not aware of any other way to do it off the top of my head. :)

Both the 2L 16v and the 1.8L 16v can be bored and stroked.  Stroking
the 1.8L with the 2L 16v crank requires clearancing machine work on
the block and intermediate shaft...not to mention the replacement rods.

The 2L 16v blocks are also known as 'bubble-blocks' as they're a bit
fatter to accomodate bigger cranks. The 2L can also be bored to a
bigger piston, as it starts with a bigger piston...81.5mm (or is it 81mm?)
stock for the 1.8L, 82.5mm for the 2L. The largest cast pistons you
can get (let's not get into forged vs cast at this point) is probably 83mm.
That's what I used when I bored my 2L block.

This list is a great place to learn, so don't hesitate to ask
your questions.  Hang out for a while...

later.

==Brett