Busted a brake drum, lost the series :^(

Did something last Friday I've never seen before.  We had our 30-lap
championship race for double points at Linda's Speedway.  I started
12th, 10 laps in I was up to 4th.  I was the fastest car on the
track, with my teammate, Bill Sherwood,in front of me holding me up.
I went for the pass on the outside, when all of the sudden I heard a
loud bang and the car rotated sideways and went up in the air about
45 degrees.  I thought someone had plowed into the rear so I steared
into the slide and kept the gas to the floor.  As I went down the
front straight, they waived the yellow flag and black flagged me.  I
kept on going, thinking it was just a flat tire.  The second time
around the flagman stepped out on the track to stop me, I hit the
brake pedal but it went to the floor.  This clued me in that
something was majorly wrong.  So I left 4th place for the pits.  You
should have seen my face when I walked around the car and saw the
brake shoes hanging from the backing plate.  The bearings and center
hub were still there, but the drum was gone!!  They said the tire and
brake drum hit the wall and went about 15 feet in the air!
Anyway, that damn brake drum put me in 14th for the race, and 2nd for
the series.  Congrats to Bill Sherwood for his fifth consecutive
series championship at Linda's Speedway.

Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- finally Ground Control equipped
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car #12 (4 feature wins in '99)
84 VW Scirocco daily driver 221,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85