RE: slick 50

I don't recall if it was here or on the Hooligan Racing list, but someone
posted something a couple weeks ago about Splitfire plugs and Motor Up and
the marketing company that runs their infomercials having action taken
against them by the FTC.  The post mentioned that this was the same
marketing firm that ran the Slack 50 misinfomercials.  Based on that alone,
I would question the reputability of Slick50.

This was discussed on the VintagVW list a few years back.  Basically,
Slack50 claims that their Teflon particles actually adhere to the wear
surfaces in the engine.  However, a lister pointed out that it's not easy to
make Teflon stick to a surface; it requires carefully controlled conditions,
and one of the conditions are that the surface must be free of oil.  I
haven't verified this, but it's logical.

Another tidbit I picked up at that time was a website that talked about a
comparison that Briggs and Stratton did with Slack50.  They ran one engine
with straight oil, and they ran another with Slack50 per the manufacturer's
recommendation.  Then they drained both engines and ran them again for a
specified period.  Upon teardown and inspection, they discovered that the
engine that had been run with Slack50 actually had more visible wear and
galling than the one that had run straight oil.

Again, I wasn't of the mindset to try and verify this at the time, and I
really have no way to substantiate it, but it should at least hold as much
water as the manufacturer's claims, since you don't know what they're based
on or how scientific they are either.  When you weigh the "facts" in this
way, it seems to me that any benefit is questionable at best, making the
stuff a complete waste of money.  Basically, it seems that your chances of
realizing benefits are equal to your chances of realizing detrimental
effects, and with my engine, that's a chance I'm not willing to take.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale