Re: Non-Rocco, Jetta Question

I have a 92 Jetta GL with the 1.8L in it. I have
> noticed recently that
> when you start it for the first time of the day or
> after it has been
> sitting for like 6 hours or so, the car spits out a
> puff of smoke and then
> it clears. The car uses very little oil and I am
> assuming whatever is being
> used is what is being burnt on startup when it does
> this. What would cause
> such a thing. I am thinking valve seals myself, but
> I don't really want to
> think that as those would be a pain in the sitting
> place to replace. Anyone
> have any suggestions. I figured this was a good
> place to ask considering
> the car has basically the same engine as my 85 8v
> Scirocco has in it.

Well your Jetta engine has more HP and a higher
compression ratio along with a KS ignition. Same
displacement though.

It could simply be condensation in the exhaust. What
color is the smoke?

===
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Free: Dual outlet A1 manifold - nds studs (in MD)