that damn 16v conversion

>Are you sure it's bad?

No.

The electrical test passes, but the plastic carrier that holds it in the
distributor body is cracked, and with the cap off, it flops around. I figure
I'd have to replace it one day, anyhow. And, it could only be partially
functioning. I dunno...

This problem bugs the shit out of me, cause it makes no sense.

As I turn the igniton on, I can see a spark from the primary wire (taken off
the distro) to engine block ground, but once I try to crank it, no sparks
fly. Definatley nothing at the plug ends.

Since I get that initial spark (don't know if it's supposed to do that), I
know the coil works fine. I've swapped out a few ICU's to see if that does
the trick. The hall sender looks kinda flaky, so I'll go for that.

Are there fusable links, or fuses somewhere in this circuit? I even try
supplying the coil with constant battery power while I'm cranking and still
no sparks.

Light bulb went on in my head.

The coil gets constant positive (#15) power, no? Or, is it pulsed?

It's the negative (#1) power that gets to the coil that is controlled by the
ICU, no? If I were to give this coil a definate ground, would I be forcing
this coil to make a spark? Could I wring its little neck?

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v