Re: Silver Sciroccos (Car colors)

Car colors:

The Scirocco will look great in all silvers or grays.
The car was designed in silver.  Giugiaro  ,our cars inspiration,
is a master at definition an detail in car styling. The "Asso di Quadri"
(Ace of Diamond) is the car that the MK2 got its style from.
The Assio di Quadri was a return to curves from the acute angles
and straiteer lined cars of the 70's.  The Scirocco has
a good balance of detail and form. The parting lines are used
to describe the form and give the car a soft look. The MK2 is
slab like (flat) on paper but looks more curvaceous because of its
parting lines and understated body definition.  This detailed treatment
of the study makes the overall effect very soft. You see a car
looks different in different colors. Look at a Ferrari Testarossa
an you see a car that was designed to be red!!
The Ferrari has over exaggerated lines that only works in yellow
or red. A yellow, white or red car needs more definition like a
curved belt line blister fenders or sharper
lines to exaggerate its details. Silver on the other hand works the
opposite way. A car that has little to no detail, like a 50's Porshe
Speedster  or a Audi TT look great in silver because the form is
great but the design lacks detail. The silver gives the car more
integrity and makes it look expensive and metallic (like expensive metal).
The silver adds definition and allows you to see the form of the car at the
same time.
Red removes definition. Black makes a car look smaller and a black car is
hard to see.
When you look at a black car you see white reflections that describe the
form.
A black car looks attractive (attracts your attention) because you see
contrast
between the reflections and the dark color. If a black car is not clean it
looks bad because the reflection trick is not working. A black car
must be perfect because all you see is the reflective patterns and all the
dents or
imperfections jump out at you. A silver car also has the reflection working
for
it  but you can see more of the car and less reflection contrast. The car's
details
and form distracts the eye, unlike the black car,
so the imperfections do not jump out at you.  A silver car will look larger
than a black car but it will not be as dazzling or reflective as the black
car.
A silver car reflects a large part of its environment. You see the sky
and the ground changing the paints reflected color. So the lower part of
the
car looks warm and friendly and the top looks like the cold or orange sky.
Mid day a silver car does not look as good as it will at sun set or on a
cloudy day.
White makes a car look bigger as a side note. So if you want to paint your
Scirocco silver
it will look great and now you know why. Keep your red and silver cars out
of the sun!!
Please check out my flash silver car on Kevin's page.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"
90 16v 2.0 white Passat 5 speed WGN.

Message text written by Kevin Collins

SubConSk8@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone have know of any Sciroccos w/ a custom silver paint job? Like the
99'
> VW silver color? I am just wondering what it looks like...Pics?

It's not "custom", but go to my page (url below) and click on the 'roc'n
the
bay '99" link, there are some pics there of list member Doug Teulie's '87,
which is silver from the factory (Flash Silver? Not sure) and is in PRIMO
condition.. this will give you an idea of the look..

--
Kevin Collins<