Scirocco revs, but doesn't go

Well, the honeymoon is over.  I've had my 79 for just over a month now, and
I knew a $700 car wouldn't last forever before something broke.  I can put
the car in any gear, step on the gas, watch the speedo spin and hear the
engine rev, but I get no forward motion.  I suspect that it is the passenger
side inner CV, because when I replaced the wheel bearing last night and
pulled the axle out of the hub, I could feel the joint come apart.  Kind of
like a dislocated shoulder, because the boot was still bolted to output
flange, but the axle shaft was flailing about, and not spinning the tranny
when I twisted it.  My question here is what has caused this event to
transpire, and if a new CV joint doesn't fix the problem what do I look at
next?

Thanks to all,

Ben R.