Re: paint - advice please!

At 7:23 PM -0700 9/9/99, Kevin Collins wrote:

>He does work for the local VW dealer and has for years, so he's familiar
>with our cars - cool.  He's also familiar with dealing with the body kits,
>and says that they are virtually impossible to get off w/o damaging, then
>hard to get back on right again too.  He advises leaving it on to do the
>paint.  Couple of problems I see here - one, paint in the gaps between
>plastic and body, which will then of course crack and look like shit,
>also the issue of using a flex agent in the body kit paint, he wants
>to spray the whole thing at once,

I'm having my neighbor paint my car, and we came up with this same
question. Because it's easier, I'm going this way--body kit on.  What
prompted this question for me was someone who had had their car
painted with the body kit on said this would happen, but there were
only 2 pinkie-sized cracks where the kit met the body.  For the order
of magnitude in price savings I'm getting here, I can deal with that.
I figure, I'm going to drive the car, eventually something is going
to put a ding in the paint.  We also thought maybe we can run a razor
blade along the seam when the paint is still wet to separate the gap.
I dunno about this yet.

My other neighbor does body work for a living at a dealer, so we
asked him about painting the kit on with flex agent in the paint.  He
says he's done entire cars this way a lot and had no problem.

So, these answers worked for me.  Dunno if they make you feel any
different.  I'm going with it on the car because the kit I have has
never been attached to a car and is going to need lots of clamps to
hold it in place while the glue dries, and that would just hork up
the fresh new paint.
| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |