RE: 3 Gauge Panel

OK, lessee if I can help here,

Brad Sterling wrote:
>Hi all, This is for a 86.5 16V.
>
>1.  I know I need the dual pole sender that screws into the oil filter
>neck for the oil pressure gauge.  Is there a particular car I can take
>this from?  I'm heading to the dealer for dash lights today, should I
>just buy it there?  Anyone have a part number?  There are three wires
>coming out of the back of the gauge marked "G", "+", and an upside down
>"T".  The upside down "T" appears to be power, I'm assuming the
>"G" is ground and the "+" is the signal from the sender.  Am I on the
>right track here?

For the sender, go back to the "pick-a-part" and get the sender from the
car that you got the gauge panel from. If it was an 8V car, then the
sender is located on the driver side of the cylinder head, You'll need a
17mm open end wrench to get it out. I don't think the dealer will carry
these senders. If the sender is not there, you can probably get a new
one from an aftermarket vendor, possibly Potterman.

For the wires, I think you are 0 for 3 on your assumptions, but I could
be wrong.  IIRC, from my pressure gauge install, the symbols mean the
following.

"+"                          12V switched power
upside down "T"       This is the universal symbol for ground
"G"                            This is left to be connected to the sender

>2.  How are people hooking up the Voltage meter.  I assume it's just
>connected to a post ignition switch source.  Are my upside down "T" and
>+ assumptions from above still correct?

again, the "+" is for switched power, and the "T" for ground.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco