Re: help. . . tranny fluid and CV boot

---Pei-Chung Ting <chungsteroonie@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone. ..
>
> needed some bone-head help with tranny fluid changing and replacing a
> CV boot.
>
> I have an '88 16v. . . wanted to change the tranny fluid, but the
> manual I have is cryptic.  I can't find the drain plug and the filler
> plug.  Can someone help me locate these? and outline the proper
> procedure.  Specific is good.

The drain plug is a 17mm hex 'bolt' located near the bottom of the
differential housing (where the inner CV joints go into the transaxle).

I've filled them both from the speedo hole, and the fill plug and I
prefer the fill plug (I'm probably in the minority though).  The fill
plug is located at the end of the transaxle, below and to one side of
the VW stamped endcap.  The end I'm talking about is visible through
the drivers side wheel well.  To fill the car, jack up the car on
that side and take off the tire.  Use a funnel.  Put in 2 qts.

> While down there trying to figure out the tranny, I found a broken CV
> boot.  Looks like I found it early so I hope I don't have to replace
> the CV joint.  Are there any snags to this operation I should know
> about?  like parts and clips that need to be replaced.  If I could get
> a shopping list of everything I need, it would be helpful.  Guess I
> have a full day tomorrow.

A bootkit (available from one of our favorite on-line suppliers Mike or
Mark) will do the trick for you.  Clean out the CV joint and repack it
would be my advice...unless you're really not up for that job, then
just add some CV grease (included with the boot kit), boot it up and
go.  I tend to be of the mind-set:  "When do I want to be HERE again?"
so I'd clean it out and repack it...but that's just me.  I'm a bit
wacky like that though, ask anyone... :-]

> Latah,
> 'Chung

==Brett