Re: Fw: Scirocco Top Speed?

At 5:44 pm -0700 4/9/99, dcewing1 wrote:

>Hey, I must have missed something.  What is the "ADVERTISED" way to get rid
>of the rev limiter.  I started that thread and no one came out and just said
>how to do it, or if they did, I missed it or it was when the list went
>offline.  If anyone has a copy of this, PLEASE re-send it out.  Or if you
>just know how, please let us all know, or atleast ME!!!
>
>Thanks In Advance!!
>
>Dave

OK, I'm going to cut and paste what Brian Honnold posted to the list at the
end of that thread a few weeks ago:

"Some else with a bentley please check into this and possibly test it out.

The rev limiter is controlled by the knock sensor brain, when an overrev
situation occurs, the fuel pump is cut out momentarily until revs return to
an acceptable level.

The knock brain does this by controlling the ground to the fuel pump relay,
if you cut the ground wire, no ground and no working fuel pump.  You will
have to cut the ground wire and re-connect it to any nearby ground. (this is
the way that the MkI and non-CIS-E cars are wired.

On the 16V this is a red/yellow wire that comes from terminal 10 of the
knock sensor brain and going into the fusebox at D13.  The rest of this
circuit is internal to the fusebox and continues to the 6/T connector of the
fuel pump relay."

I just did this about 20 minutes ago.  Haven't driven the car yet, so I
don't know what my max rpm is now, but the car runs so I know I haven't
f*cked anything up.  One thing to note - this mod effectively jumps the
fuel pump relay, meaning that when the key is in the "on" position the fuel
pumps will run continuously.  Not a big deal, really, since I don't have
the key "on" unless I'm about to start the car.  However, if you've got
your stereo wired to power up only when the key is "on", the sound of the
pumps would interfere with the tunes.

I'll post an update as soon as I've had a chance to test-drive the car!