RE: Cleaning/caring for leatherette.

Yup. Some lucky bastards have real factory leather seats in their car. The
cloth portion of the door insert is also replaced with black, though I'm not
sure if it's real leather or not.

Leatherette is a special genetically altered variety of Naugahyde. Naugans
were a species of African midget, driven to extinction by Naugahyde poachers
in the 70's. They only now continue to thrive in small managed communities
and are bread for their skin quality. It's all some big government
conspiracy...

;-)

Seriously, leatherette is a vinyl product, made from petroleum (i.e. oil).
Basically, it's plastic. I have had wonderful success with a product called
Vinylex (sp?). I think it's by a company called Lexol or something. It comes
in an ugly pastel blue-green spray bottle. DO NOT use Armor All!!! I repeat,
DO NOT use Armor All!!! It actually replaces one of the chemical compounds
in the vinyl that is responsible for its flexibility, but the replacement
(silicon, methinks??) evaporates. I'm not a chemistry guru, but the way it
was explained to me was that the vinyl becomes "dependent" on the Armor All.
If you use Armor All for a while and then stop, the vinyl WILL crack. I've
seen it happen and talked to other people who won't ever buy a bottle of
that stuff again. If you like, I can try to find the Web page where I read
the technical explanation. It also had a list of recommended products, which
is where I heard about Vinylex.

~Neal