RE: '81 still won't start. (Was: getting rid of a Jetta)

>Whaddya mean ALMOST!!!!
>does it run, did we fix it???
> > '81 Scirocco 16v (it almost works!)

Heh. I tried sending something out to the list a few days ago, but I guess
it got lost.

No, it doesn't start.

It almost wants to... The first time I tried it, it sputtered a little...
then went back to its old shenannigans of cranking with no spark.

The relays are still clicking, the fuel pump still primes.

I found this interesting tid-bit out, tho...

If I take the primary wire off the distributor, and set it next to the head
(or whatever ground), an arc occurs for a moment as the key is turned on and
everything's happening. No spark when the engine cranks, tho.

I know the "X" circuit supplies power when ignition is on, but cuts when the
starter's activated. Could there be an incorrect path using this circuit?

Ugh. This is driving me nuts. I just wanna drive the thing.

Could this have something to do with one of those auxilliary wires (aside
from the primary, and solenoid) coming out of the starter? I remember
hooking that extra one up correctly. I think.

Sunday, I'll be able to work again on the car.

Flabbergasted,
-Dave