Weird Engine Stumble

I recently had a fuel pump relay & pump replaced on my  '86 16v along with a
new distributor.  But I'm still suffering an intermittent (every ten minutes
or so) engine stumble plus a clicking sound from the driver's side of the
dash.  My mechanic can't duplicate this problem and says that both fuel
pumps appear to be running fine.  Even when the engine's running fine it
doesn't seem quite up to its usual power, though my mechanic can't find
anything wrong on his scope.  What gives?

Wayne Cressman