RE: Knock sensor install what parts do i need?

This page, which you may have seen, covers some basics of VW engine
swaps, including 2.0l swaps. It has some links, but most interesting to
me was the wiring diagram for the Knock Sensor install.

http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Default.htm

As you can see, the Knock sensor connects to the Hall Sender, ICU,
Throttle Switches, and the knock sensor.

>From the top of my head, a list would go like this. (these parts are
found on 85-87 GTI and GLI 8V engines as well as 16V engines, basically
RD or PL engines with CIS-e injection)

KS control unit
Knock Sensor
ICU
Throttle Switches
Distributor*
Minimally cut wiring harness (optional)**

* You will need a distributor without vacuum advance, that has a 4-window
hall thingy (i.e. NOT a motronic dist). The RD distributors are fine,
but the gearing won't match the intermediate shaft, so a fix is needed.
(I'm told TT has a few to choose from)

**The hardest part for me was getting the wiring harness out so that I
wouldn't have to splice together too many wires during the install. VW
put *a LOT* of electrical tape on all of those wires, highly annoying
when trying to follow specific wires. Of course, I managed to forget
about the throttle switches, so I cut the wires going to it. (Doh)
Anyway, At the least  you will need to get the main connectors to the KS
control unit, and the ICU, as well as the connectors to the KS, the
throttle switches, and the Hall sender. That way you can have everything
wired up prior to install.

Matt, lemme know how things go. I am also putting in a 2.0l ABA block
this month. Feel free to ask me if you run into any problems, and I'll
do the same. TTYS

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco