what a day! putt, putt, putt....

<x-flowed>

well,
i have been taking my time to replace the transfer pump (like those of you
recommended - thanks!) and it finally caught up to me in a way...

my fuel gauge essentially told me that i was driving off gas fumes but of
course i ignored it. so i'm driving along and just as i'm about 5 blocks
away from the destination, my car begins to putt-putt along (no gas!). i
limp over and park the car (luckily i  had arrived). an hour or so later, i
got into the car and the damn thing just cranked and cranked, starting
after 20 seconds or so.. it ran real rough (like shit, really) and the
tailpipe was shooting off this blackish smoke - rich as can be.. at this
point i figured i need gas (no shit!) and luckily found a place close by.

filled the tank halfway and started the car. again, real rough. at idle
speeds the engine would cut-off and run rough, at higher 3k+ it would rev
semi-fine. so i take the car on the freeway and run it through its paces to
get whatever crap was potentially clogging the injectors as a result of my
fuel negligence, and arrive at another gas station, whereby i put in some
injector cleaner-additive. i got home without anymore of the aforementioned
problems and all is semi-well (for now...)

so here's the question - as far as the transfer pump goes, will a
grand-auto brand work fine or should i go with a true oem pump?
secondly, the bentley seems to mention that there may be a dealer
recall/fix on the transfer pump. is this right?

thanks
dave