Re: [elec] Ohh my heartache-Mk1 16v don't like me

Dave,
   Remember I told you about the fuel pump bypass
recall?  A8 was part of that.  A8 routes power from
the relay to the fuel pump, aux. air regulator and the
warm air regulator.  They bypassed the routing through
the fuse box just for the reason you describe.  It
melted the A8 pin and the relay on the fuse box due to
the high current draw of the fuel pump.

   Is your fuel pump relay on the fuse box or does it
have the bypass wiring harness?  If your connections
on the bypass are not correct you could be sending the
wrong signals to the fuel pump relay explaining the
irregular switching.  Re-check all connections on the
fuel pump relay with your Bently.

   Also check to make sure there is a jumper between
A3 and A5 pins this connects the relay to the ignition
coil terminal 1.

   I seem to remember that you replaced the
white/violet resister wire with a sutalble
non-restistance wire between the ingnition coil
termianl 15 and C15 on the fuse box.

   Last thing.  Do all you dash lights and acc. come
on?  ie fuel gauge, oil warning, water over temp light
and alternator light.  If these don't work you may
have some power routing problems.

HTH with the diagnosis.
-Emile Draper
'80 'rocco