buttonwillow autox

Well, I got back from my one day at Buttonwillow, even though it's
two days.

Shawn, Doug, and Mike, you guys missed out on a very fast track.
 Since there isn't any real padock to speak of, they used the east
loop of the track and lined it with cones, a few gates and a "trail"
(not sure of the right terminology).  Since they had the policy that
"2 wheels off asphalt, DNF, 4 wheels off and a disqualified for the
day" rule, everybody was worried about going off.  I don't know if
you guys have been there, but theres a slight rise with a left hand
turn before and an off camber right hand turn at the top.  It was
eating people alive.  All kinds of people were going off the track
there. The optional chicane before hand was kinda tricky to decide
where to go.  They had the cones staggered as such that it was
easier to go through it and end up on the inside entry of the next
turn or go slower through it and end up at the outside entry of the
turn. Well I was flying through there in third but took a different
entrance than I did before. By the time I got to the top of the rise I
was at about 270 deg. to where I should have been and still sliding.
 After I shook the shock of it all I was able to stop the car before
going off track, and took out about 5 cones in the process...
All in all is was VERY fast and fun.  I believe the track was about a
mile long and the fastest times today were about 58 sec... an
average of about 60mph.  My quickest time was 76sec, keep in
mind this is only my second autox and on 7 year old A-00r's.
Except for the spin out, each lap time was consecutivly(sp?) faster,
so I was happy.

VW wasn't all that well represented though.  There were 2 '84 GTI's
a '99 Golf and a white '78 Scirocco owned by a guy by the name of
Kevin Groot. From what he said he bought the car from Raffi at
Eurosport. Anybody know this car?
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
        http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/