Burning oil? Where does it go?

Ok, the little irritating problems with my 86 16V continue.

Bought the car at 180k miles. Previous owner was using cheapo oil
and Fram filters. Changed the oil to Valv. blend 10W30 last Sunday, with,
of course, a Mann filter. About 500 miles later, and quite a bit of
driving at ~4000rpm to get rid of those deposits, the oil level has
dropped halfway down the "cross-hatched" section of the dipstick.

No evident leaks. Coolant is not leaking either, no sign of "milky" oil on
the dipstick. And, yes, I did top up the oil after ~20 miles of driving
after the oil change. I will top it up again tomorrow, but I really think
it will drop down again.

What could be happening here? Compression in the car was excellent a month
ago (180psi in all 4). What symptoms should I be looking for if the car
burns oil this badly?

Thanks,

Elias