MFA problems

On my 84 Scirocco Wolfsburg, the MFA doesn't work.  It shows O for
everything except 99 for something else and something else as well. I don't
recall it right now.  The odometer has also stopped working.  I was
thinking that maybe the speedo cable is gone.  Will a cable form another
VW, like a Rabbit or an 81 Scirocco, fit?  What else could it be?

BTW, what's the lil' rod on the right side of the speedo (the one you
switch left to right)? I was thinking that it could read and save two

Thanks

Sal
81 Scirocco
84 Rabbit (now Gti)