sluggish accel.

<x-flowed>Well, I was enjoying some spirited driving today in my 85 8V.  Things were
fun, though the little sideways slide was somewhat scary.  Well, on the way
home I began to notice a difference.  For example, when downshifting to 3rd
or so on a tight turn, I would hit it like normal coming out, but this time
hardly any acceleration.  Even the rpms seemed to be stuck, only slowly
creeeping up, along with the engine noise.  Seemed really sluggish.  It
continued this way all the way home.  I miss seeing that needle jump toward
the redline!  Whats up?  Any help or suggestions on what to check would be
appreciated.  TIA

Brad Sayer

85 8V 'Wolfsburg'