Oil pump not operating well?

After doing the infamous "dual-sender" installation on the top of the oil
cooler in my 16V (which entailed removing the rear sender, and moving the
front
sender to the back, then installing the dual sender in the front), my oil
warning LED is flashing at idle after the oil has warmed up well. In the
meantime the gauge shows about 0.5psi.

At first I thought it was simply a positioning problem: the sender was
only meant to be positioned in the front, so my putting it in the back
somehow does not let it sense the pressure like it was designed to.

Then another thought crossed my mind: what if there really is low
pressure? Oil is filled up, so that leaves the pump itself. Is there any
way that the pump is not operating at full power, so that the oil pressure
is not what it should be? Any way to diagnose a failing pump without
having to remove the darn oil pan? (it was a PITA in the 8V, and I imagine
it will be in the 16V, too).

I know it has been talked about a bit, but are there any listers who have
actually done what I have done with the sender, and are they seeing the
same effect?

Thanks,

Elias