Re: NOS Users in need your opinions,comments.

In a message dated 10/25/1999 2:47:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
A1SCIROCCO@aol.com writes:

> If inhale NOS you might as well delete this.  I'm looking for some pros and
>  cons on NOS use on cars.  Is it possible to aquire a kit for less than 500
>  bucks?  Any long term damage?  How much does it cost to fill up a 5lb
bottle?

My thoughts-

Pros:  Can be installed/removed from vehicle easier than a turbo or
supercharger.  Only "on" when you want it to be.  Cost less to install than a
supercharger or turbo system.  Does not cause/generate more heat in the
engine compartment.  Easy to hide.  No alteration of exhaust system (like a
turbo).  No major alteration of intake system (like a supercharger).  No
intercooler needed.

Cons:  Only have extra power when you have juice in the tank.  Refilling of
tank.  A pain to disconnect hose to refill bottle.  Power application is
either all on or all off (unless you buy a more sophisticated system).  Not
enough traction (massive wheelspin, a little better with a Quaife) when
nitrous is applied in lower gears.  Must remember to turn on the tank each
time you go out (if you want to squeeze).  Not smog legal for our cars.  If
you have a Nitrous Express system, there is a potential for the tank to blow
up and destroy your car (http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm).

I paid about $550 for my system.  This was about 2 years ago.  I haven't had
the system long enough to notice any problems.  I've have a friend who knows
people who have blown engines(Honda) on a "homemade" system when trying to
squeeze 100 HP out of there system.  Around here (SF Bay Area), I've paid
from $3.75 to $4.00 per pound to refill the bottle.

HTH.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner