Re: Engine removal questions

If you have access to a chainfall or engine hoist, remove the hood and
pull the engine & transmission out the top (sometimes it helps to have a
friend guide while you lift).  You can then easily separate the two once
the entire assembly is out of the car.  I use a front end loader and do
all engine-transmission removals this way.  (on A2s I take the front
end out and come out the front)

If you're working in your driveway or over-crowded garage, you'll likely
find it easier to drop the transmission first, then the engine, out the
bottom of the car.  Separately the pieces are a bit more manageable,
although others may have more insight into handling them together from
underneath.

Drew
'84 Wolfsburg

On 25 Oct 1999 GUIDO.DAVID@PALO-ALTO.VA.GOV wrote:

> To those who have walked before me...
>
> What is a good sequence for engine removal , remove transaxel first, then
> block? Or should I drop the engine/transaxel first then separate the two?
>
> And I suspect there is no advantage pulling the engine from the top.
>
> Gracias list members!
>
> David Guido
> 1980 Scirocco
> 1981 Scirocco "S"

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca