help! my fuel pump's making strange noises.....

<x-flowed>

well, i noticed that just two days ago my 16v was making some small whining
sounds from the trunk-area. i figure that it's the fuel pump being a
not-so-happy-camper.

yesterday, i noticed that when i came close to a stop, the rear made a
sound much like a little motor whizzing away. then, upon acceleration, it
would go away (or so it seems - the tt exhaust is too loud and drowns out
most of the noise)

any ideas? is it time to get a new fuel pump? is it the fuel pump or
something else?
can i get one from someone?
is it an hour's worth of work?

thanks