From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Ewan Hopkins
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 10:49 AM
To: drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca
Cc: spredhaus@hotmail.com; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: 5 cyl TDI(was...Re: VW & Toyota)

10cyl TDI - that'll be the one that's going into the D1 limo. In true VAG
fashion, it's basically two 2.5 audi I5 TDIs lumped together in V formation.
I wonder if there is a VAG engineer who spends his days thinking "now I
wonder what'll happen when I combine this with that...".  The way things are
going, the logical progression from the W18 is a  VW(as in \/\/\/)24. What a
marketing concept that would be.

Ewan Hopkins

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Ewan Hopkins wrote:

> Nope - it's 4cyl engines.  The I5 would never fit in the golf. Don't think
there is a diesel VRanything at the moment.
> The 4cyl 1.9 TDIs are good for 130/140bhp with just a simple chip &
intercooler upgrade.  The stock 110BHP version is almost as quick 0-60 as
the MK4 GTI.
> Diesel sciroccos - now there's a project!

Alas the North American versions of the TDI are only 90bhp.  Not that I'm
complaining - because it's also 145 or 150 ft/lb at 1900rpm, depending on
the version.  They do respond well to chipping, and apparently the
variable-vane-turbo in the A4 and NB uses an adjustable nozzle to control
boost pressure rather than a wastegate...

I have seen discussions on the diesel list about development of 200+hp
4 cyl tdis and even 10 cyl tdis?

Drew (Still dreaming of a TDI powered Corrado)

84 Wolfsburg
99 A3 Jetta TDI

> This footnote confirms that this e-mail message and any files transmitted
> with it have been swept by the Computeraid IT Services Department for the
> presence of computer viruses.
>
> To find out about the Services Computeraid can offer, visit us at

www.computeraid.co.uk

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca