Re: 5 cyl TDI(was...Re: VW & Toyota)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Ewan Hopkins wrote:

> Nope - it's 4cyl engines.  The I5 would never fit in the golf. Don't think there is a diesel VRanything at the moment.
> The 4cyl 1.9 TDIs are good for 130/140bhp with just a simple chip & intercooler upgrade.  The stock 110BHP version is almost as quick 0-60 as the MK4 GTI.
> Diesel sciroccos - now there's a project!

Alas the North American versions of the TDI are only 90bhp.  Not that I'm
complaining - because it's also 145 or 150 ft/lb at 1900rpm, depending on
the version.  They do respond well to chipping, and apparently the
variable-vane-turbo in the A4 and NB uses an adjustable nozzle to control
boost pressure rather than a wastegate...

I have seen discussions on the diesel list about development of 200+hp
4 cyl tdis and even 10 cyl tdis?

Drew (Still dreaming of a TDI powered Corrado)

84 Wolfsburg
99 A3 Jetta TDI

> Ewan Hopkins.

> >From: drew <drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca>
> >On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Ewan Hopkins wrote:
> >
> > > I wasn't aware that any VWs came with an I5 diesel.
>
> >The Eurovan (successor to the Vanagon) used an I5 diesel powerplant for
> >several years up here in the great white North.  I thought I heard rumours
> >of them using a VR5 version of the TDI in future vans?
> >
> >Drew
>
> Is the I5 TDI or the VR5 TDI the motor in the 3 VW Motorsport Golfs that are
> cleaning up overseas?  Those cars are the coolest. 5 door TDI's whoopin the
> entire field....
>
> That's the car to buy if you're looking at a new VW... Smack around the
> riceboys for a while AND get 40mpg...
>

> CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
> http://www.spredhaus.com -- Finally Updated!
> http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
> 58 Type1 Ragtop
> 84 Jetta uGLi

> This footnote confirms that this e-mail message and any files transmitted
> with it have been swept by the Computeraid IT Services Department for the
> presence of computer viruses.
>
> To find out about the Services Computeraid can offer, visit us at
>                                                                                 www.computeraid.co.uk

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca