Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor for CIS-E

--- archive@porknet.fdns.net wrote:

<problem/attempted diagnoses deleted>

> -Toby
>
> --
> '87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V

YOu're pretty much on the money as far as your method of diagnoses is
going, however, that's not the coolent temperature sensor. :)  Trust me,
it's probably the coolent gauge sensor.  There's another one that looks
just like it a little further back but at the same height, right?
The CIS-E CTS is further down  and a bit more towards the front the car,
two conducter bosch (well shielded) plug.

Thanks to your nice description of an oily leaky distributor, I tend to
think this might be where your problem resides....the hall sender notably.

I'd do the basics first (plugs, wires, coil, CTS, fuel mixture,
vacuum leaks, fuel filter, air filter, and finally replace the distributor)
before cutting and replacing any wires.  When I mean 'do the basics', I mean
do the checking as outlined in the Bentley manual and replace/fix
as necessary.

==Brett