problem with MFA odo & speed function when cold

I've noticed that when temps fall to near or below the freezing point, the
MFA does not record elapsed km or average speed (and as a result of this
reported mileage tends to be quite bad... :-))  Once the car's interior
has warmed up a bit, it begins to work again.  Both analogue odometers
work fine.

Has anyone expereinced this problem, and if so, were they able to resolve
it without replacing the speedo?  If speedo replacement is necessary, can
I use a speedo head that has the cruise signal?  I'm surmising that the
MFA gets its signal from the speedo head through the same sender that
factory cruise control implementations use.  If this sender is gear
driven, perhaps the gear is stiff or slipping in the cold weather?  (I'm
familiar with the slipping odo gear problem).

I do have one speedo head with factory cruise, from an '88 Jetta TD.
Unfortunately it's got 460,000km on the odo so I'm reluctant to swap them
without dialing the proper mileage in (195,000km)

Any input would be appreciated.

Drew, with a sore head (apparently the hatch lift struts don't work too
well in the cold weather either... :(  At least the ice scraper is in the
back seat now... )

84 Wolfsburg Scirocco
83 (Turbo)Diesel Jetta
99 A3 Jetta TDI

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca