Re: synthetic for 8v

Richard and Michelle Pizzulo wrote:

> In a recent thread about synthetic oil, everybody referred to 16v cars.
> Does anybody run it in an 8v?  What weight?  I currently use 10w30 and
> sometimes 5w30 Castrol GTX oil, and change it every 3000 miles.  I am
> fairly hard on the car, as I am sure that the majority of Scirocco
> owners are, and wondering about the benefits of synthetic.  I'm located
> in Mobile AL and don't see much real cold weather.  Any opinions on the
> ideal weight of synthetic and whether or not to change to it?
> -=Rick
> 84' 8v wolfs

I dropped an '84' GTI engine in the roc. It pulled well and used little
to no oil so I never bothered to open it up and get it reworked.

Soon after I got the GTI, and before disassembly, I switched briefly to
semi synth for the second oil change of my ownership, and right after
that I have been running Mobil 1 15w50. I live in Northern California.
We rarely get over 100, rarely under 40F for too long. , myself often
run the engine under load for extended freeway trips so the thicker oil
makes sense for me.

As for synth not working well at higher temps, well what is it for then?

TBerk