Re: Update on my rocco

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Scirocco Boy wrote:

> Hi guys! Time to let you know what's up and stuff with my new car and some
> favors to ask of you... Here's what I know...
>        -I was wrong - it's an 80, not 81 as I first thought.
>        -My AC works so perfectly, it kills me!
>        -I need interior help BAD. This is the favor part... I need: A new
> dash,

That will be hard to come by

         carpet,

You can buy these new from several sources...Rocky Mountain Motorworks
comes to mind...

> the hydrolic lift things for the
>         hatch door,

Again, you can buy these new, as any used ones would mostlikely be bad as
well. (check with Mike Potter at Virtual World Parts, www.parts4vws.com)

> the lid thing that covers the trunk and is attached to the
>         hatch, and the sun visors...

Time to take a trip down here on that one, a junkyard in Erie has several
Mk1 roccos with these parts in them.

> If anyone has
>         this stuff to share or wouldn't mind giving a poor college student a
>       hand, i'd love you forever... Let's see...
> Things run fairly well, the rear defrost is broken,

Probably associated with your wiring issues

 and all the switches and
> the like on the dash climate control work very VERY half assed.

Typical, plastic bits back there tend to break, good ones are found in
older rabbits/roccos in the junkyards...you'll see what I am talking about
when you pull the dash. (Which is not hard at all by the way, I can give
you a quick walk through if you want it)

> Ok, since apparently this post never made the cut to the list, i'll repost it.
>  Also, a new thing has come up.  As I was driving yesterday, my stick shifter
> became 'unattached' from the gears.  After a little struggling, I was able to
> get it to go into gear.  I had trouble especially with reverse and first.  One
> buddy says I need a new 'pin and a spring'(?) one other says a link may be
> broke...  Any ideas?  Please help!

Well Brian, like I said, could be many different things, but mostlikely
the shifter ball broke or you've got a loose piece of the shift linkage
(the rods that connect directly to the trans is where I would look).  And
like everyone else will tell you, BUY A BENTLY! :-)~ It will save you many
a time.

Eric