Cold Start Problems

Hello, everyone!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!  My 16V is  now having a
hard time starting in the cold.  It only happens in the morning or when the
car has been sitting for several hours.  It was somewhat doing the same thing
about last week but it started right away after a couple of starts.  But
now... it is taking a couple of minutes!  I took the car to a neighborhood
auto repair shop and was told that it could be the Cold Start Valve or the
Thermotime Switch.  I took the car to 2 VW shops.  Both shopes quoting $55-65
just to check it out.  They mentioned the same thing but also said t could
also be among other things but the Cold Start Valve and T-Time Switch made
most sense to me.  Should I start from there or is there something else I can
do?  Thanx!