Re: Water leak & stuff

--- "pm@onramp.net" <pm@onramp.net> wrote:
> So what is the source of most water leaks that run
> down the inside of the car
> just in front of the front door? Its just caused a
> bit of surface ruston part
> of the passenger side floor, and since I'm going to
> remove the engine and
> most of the interior and send it to the body shop in
> a month or so I'd like
> to make sure it gets fixed. The car has an
> aftermarket sunroof, but its a
> cheap popup (it'll be gone after the body work) so I
> know its not a sunroof
> drain hose.
=====
unfortunately, many possibilities.

1) (unlikely) If your car has A/C and you've been
using it, there's a small A/C condensation drain hose
(from right side of center console under carpet
to/thru passenger floor) that sometimes gets plugged,
causing the water to spill under the carpet - very bad
in the long run.

2) Windshield seal - could be leaking between the
gasket and the body, or between the glass and the
gasket.

3) If you look up under the dash under the passenger
side, you'll see a six inch or so "hole" that goes up
into the fresh air vent thing in the rain tray.
Sometimes the gasket here goes bad and lets water in.

4) Related to #3 - the rain tray drains could be
clogged (there's one on either side).

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM