Re: '81 scirocco

chris wrote:

> i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference between the 81
> scirocco and the '81 scirocco S is? the only thing i noticed was that the S
> has a sun roof.
> and i was wondering what other VW motors would fit in the 81 scirocco.
>
> Chris
> Portland, OR
> '81 Scirocco

The 'S' model was meant to represent Sport. I've not confirmed that any
true mechanical differences existed between the S and the other models.
Certainly not a bigger engine.

Know differences included uprated interior color schemes, a red stripe
on the bumpers, etc. A sunroof was not standard with the 'S' models.

As for engine swaps, they all do. It depends on how much money and how
much fabrication/modification you want to do. Easy plug in answers
include the '83-84' GTIs, Audi 80 ABA model 2 liter short blocks (mated
to the head from the previous GTI 1.8). Later year cars mostly fall into
the 'tall block' type and may require some slight clearance issues with
the rain tray due to their greater dimension from top to bottom.

hth, it's just the reader's digest version.
TBerk