Re: new scirocco owner, any suggestions?? (fwd)

> From: Visual Arts <visualarts@porterworks.com>
>  As a beginner, do you have any
> advice to give about maintaining it?  I love to start adding some cool
> stuff, and maybe a list of engine/other mods you would recommend to increase
> my overall power, torque, hp, performance, etc would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean Porter
> Sean@porterworks.com

You already have touched the electrical in the engine bay but I'd have
you take another look, esp in this regard-

The electricity will sometimes have a hard time getting around the
'circuit' from Alt to engine to battery and back, due to age, corrosion
and poor connections. Reconditioning the point were the ground cables
goto the chassis, were the plus side from the batter goes to the
starter, etc., etc. and the battery post cables, will aid in getting
more of the juice were it can do some good.

In fact you might want to replace the cables from the Battery to ground
and starter right off as they are relatively cheap. Another mod is to
add an additional ground wire from the CASE of the Alt to the engine
block/chassis. DOn't connect it to any part of the Alt's terminals, but
to the outer case itself. A good spot is one of the case bolts that
stick out the back of the Alt.

Before too many thoughts of increasing performance I'd take stock of
getting old tiered parts up to spec, seals and bushings need attention
on an older car. When it comes time to replace a part then an upgrade
can be sourced. We have two great resources for parts on the list; Mike
on the East Coast and Mike on the West. Since the ship all over it
doesn't mean too much were they are.

Ooops, caught myself rambling, gotta go.

Welcome to the list.
TBerk