SV: Tech: Cylinderhead question

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
Hello

> >  I am in the middle of installation of a 1.8 JH motor into my "new" MK1.
> >I am using the standard 1.8 JH block but have a different head to use.  On
> >the front of the head reads "3 ME".  I know that this head is a 1.8 8v
> >head, but I don't know if it will be a direct bolt-on.  I think that this
> >is one of those 8v's with hydrolic lifters.  Can someone tell me if this
> >head has the same coolant channels and, basically, if it will have any
> >problems to bolt to the JH block?

All 1,8 and 2,0l 8V heads have the same coolant and oil passages to the block.

> I don't think so, as most of the combustion chamber volume is in the
> pistons.  Shaving the head will raise the compression though.  Check to
> see if the pistons come all the way up to the block deck...if they do not,
> then you can shave the block deck a little instead to increase the
> compression. However at some point (with a high lift cam) you'll be
> creating an interference engine.

It's about equal of the combustion chamber in the head and in the pistons. And the block cannot be shaved unless you shave your pistons or make clearance in the cylinder head for the pistons as part of the pistons go over the block. It's possible because the head gasket adds 1mm between when compressed.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,6l RSi -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker