RE: California front plates - yikes!

<x-charset windows-1252>*applause* My sentiments exactly....... There comes a point and time to keep
things simple! K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid! :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Neal Tovsen [mailto:ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 2:33 PM
To: Brad Sheridan
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: California front plates - yikes!

I haven't been following most of this thread, so forgive me if I'm
missing something, but I just had to get this out there:

Anybody read _1984_ yet? If you haven't, you should. Turns out that it
probably should have been titled 2014, but it is definitely happening. My
life is already run by computers and people I never see and will never
meet. Making it legal for computers or remote operators to hand out
traffic tickits when no human is present on the scene is rather
disturbing to me. At what point will we be stripped of any sense of
responsibility to "do the right thing" because it *is* the right thing,
not because every "improper" action will immediately result in punishment
by some computer or person with near-omnipotency.

Will we still be human beings, or just lab rats lost and trapped in a maze
that we built for ourselves? Our legal system already removes
responsibility from individuals because of the ease in which we put blame
on somebody else for events that are either our own fault or are just part
of life.

To be honest I'm very, very afraid of these kinds of developments.

Neal (stepping down from his soapbox)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Brad Sheridan wrote:

> At 09:53 AM 10/5/99 PDT, you wrote:
> >Anyhow, the enforcement of this old law is just a band aid for
inefficient
> >city government.  Traffic tickets are required to be written by an
officer,
> >not a machine.  That rule is still on the books to my knowledge.  What
the
> >city needs to do is hire more cops, but they want to save money so they
just
> >buy these stupid traffic light cameras.
>
>   As much as I am against most of the traffic BS that they do, I don't
mind
> the intersection cameras. There are far too many imbeciles out there who
> run red lights that have been red for a few seconds. I was hit on my first
> bike by a tow truck that decided that a light that had been red for 2
> seconds was still OK to run. When I see people do that in front of me, I
> get pretty steamed. Running red lights is very dangerous and stupid. And
if
> it takes traffic light cameras to convince people to stop, fine go for it,
> and up the fines, maybe even call it reckless endangerment, and give them
> some jail time.
>

> Brad

			Neal Tovsen