Re: Maaco vs. Scheib & Acer Note

Ian wrote:

> Can someone explain to me the difference between going to someplace like
> maaco and getting a $400 paint job and going to a local body shop and
> getting the $2000 job?
>
> Does Maaco use crappy paint? not apply as many coats? no prep work? no
> warranty?
>
> Please edumacate me here. I'll need paint someday, was planning on a couple
> of years (when I'd managed to save up about $3k)
>
> Ian

Maaco paint jobs aren't really that bad. I've seen quite a few cars done
there that were decent. They DON'T do show car quality though. I did
collision repair/auto body for awhile and we always wondered how Maaco
could paint so cheap. An average size car with regular preping and
painting usually costs around 800 dollars for just the supplies. For a
good job. Or more. I once asked at Maaco how so cheap and they (an
employee) told me they make thier own paint(quality unknown), they are
nationwide, and they buy serious bulk supplies that are rather inferior.
Also he told me he had a quota of 5 cars to prep a day!!!!! In a decent
shop more then a whole day can be spent on one car to prep. I've spent
over a week doing a mustang for a color change repaint. With no rust
work! Probably over 4 hours a day spent on just that car! Then there is
the finishing. Wet sanding and buffing at Maaco, NOT! HTH.

Feenix...
80 1.8 in need of paint work also