Re: TB/intake upgrades

--- Aaron Ness <Aaron@makuta.com> wrote:
> There was a recent thread about using an A2 VW or
> Audi 5000 TB modified
> slightly to increase flow which I followed with
> interest.

Neu$peed TB = A2 TB = Audi 5000 TB. No mods to the TB
are necessary except to use your TB old linkage (swap)
and swap in the old TB idle adjust hex screw.

  Someone mentioned
> that the stock intake manifold is restrictive, and I
> took the comment to
> mean that there would be little or nothing gained
> from this mod without
> doing something with the intake.

The intake must be port matched to the TB. Otherwise,
you will gain about 0.0 hp.

  Is there any truth
> to this?

Even with the matched port, it will give you maybe 3
hp (according to dyno tests). So . . what's 3hp worth
to ya?

  Would it be worth my time to pull the intake and
grind it out a > little and polish it up?
> Can I improve the engine's performance noticeably
> just by doing this,
> without swapping the TB?

If you are talking about P&P, IMHO, this should only
be done by a pro. You can port match it yourself to
the bigger TB if ya got the tools and such.

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Free: Dual outlet A1 manifold - nds studs (in MD)