TB/intake upgrades

<x-charset iso-8859-1>There was a recent thread about using an A2 VW or Audi 5000 TB modified
slightly to increase flow which I followed with interest.  Someone mentioned
that the stock intake manifold is restrictive, and I took the comment to
mean that there would be little or nothing gained from this mod without
doing something with the intake.  Is there any truth to this?  Would it be
worth my time to pull the intake and grind it out a little and polish it up?
Can I improve the engine's performance noticeably just by doing this,
without swapping the TB?

TIA!

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!