Re: Some more 2L conversion ?'s

<Bill.Scarince@tenneco-automotive.com> writes:

> I'm glad to see all the recent discussion on this.  I've got a
> couple more ?'s
> that haven't been specifically addressed:
>
> Exhaust:
> B. VanSpewenburg wrote to someone:
> "Once again, the best bang for the $$ would probably be the TT 2.25
> stainless with an Ultraflow.  A header would net you more HP at some
rpms, but
> would probably be less reliable.  Some people on this list have been
> running 16v headers for quite some time, so apparently then can last a
> while."
>
> On my 16V ('88) it looks like the current pipe is 2.25 aluminized.
> What was the stock dia.?
2 1/8" and it is stainless pipe and aluminized resonator (at least the
welds are rusting), muffler.

> If it was 2.25", is there some other difference in  the TT stainless
system that improves performance?
The Ultraflow as you know @tenneco-automotive, is straight through.
Plus a little bigger pipe, and nicer bends.

 Do the TT systems  maintain that resonator (pre-muffler) that the stock
system has just after the  cat?
Yes, it has a nicely crafted resonator, with reinforcements.

Their long "race" downpipe is really nice, it comes 2 sizes, 2" and I
think 1 3/4".
They are really loud, but it is like installing a good header.

> Aside from headers, are there better alternative to the stock 16V
> Ex. manifold?
>
> Intake:
> Are there any alternatives to the stock throttle body?  Can anyone
> roughly quantify the benefits of porting the manifold?
Velocity can enlarge your current throttle body, other than that you
would have to modify something.

> Cyl. Head
> I'll have it off, so aside from an intake cam, are there any
> recommendations on springs, lifters, porting, polishing, other machine
work?
Now would be a good time to have it ported and polished, replace the
lifters if they are making noise.
Whatever you do, do not send your cylinder head to Steve Hall,
XHVex@aol.com, Hall Heads. Justin Saine did and he has had all kinds of
problems with him, if you want the full story, follow the "Internet
Thieves" thread.

> Transmission
> It'll be off too, so aside from seals, what do you say about
> aftermarket differentials, gear ratio changes, etc.
>
> I think that's it for now.  Thanks
> Bill Scarince

A Quaife limited slip differential, circlip install, and a rebuild, if
you can afford it.
I have a 2Y, that has a rivet that has broken off, I could hear it get
thrown around, so I just turned around and went back home. It needs at
least a rebuild, I'm deciding now if I should get a Quaife.

Where is the cheapest place to buy it?
I saw a group purchase deal, a while ago, did anybody else see that?

Peter

Btw, I can offer 10% off on all Techtonics exhaust and Techtonics will
drop ship directly to you.