RE: I need help :-)

Brian Honnold wrote:

>Can any tell me if it is absolutely neccessary to change the crank cog
and
>the intermediate shaft??  I know I have to use the 16V oil pump
>because it has the drive gear on top.

Well, nothing is *absolutely* necessary.. :-)

I think the difference lies in that the 16V engines used a wider timing
belt (for durability?) so if you don't swap in 16V pulleys, then your
timing belt will hang over the edge. I would think that crank cogs  and
intermediate shaft pulleys from a 1.8 16V block would be fine. These
should be pretty cheap.

As far as the whole intermediate shaft being different, I don't know.
They might be different from the 8V to accomodate the oil pump system,
and the 2.0 might be different from the 1.8. Someone will know, call
Potterman, God of all things VW.

HTH

Jonas
85 scirocco