Re: Shifter bushing replacement

Nathan Mellom wrote:

> Does anyone know of detailed plans to replace the shifter bushings on my
> '84 5sp?  I have a Bentley, Haynes and Clymer, but there isn't anything
> specific to replacing bushings.  I got 'em, I jest need to put 'em in.
> Nate
> '84 w/ floppy 5sp

It takes a plan of getting dirty.

Find an existing bushing and replace it. One at a time. Sometimes you
will find the old ones are completely gone, save them for last and you
will see what type goes there by being left over.

Get up under the car, (prop. chocked & blocked) and with (13 mm?) wrench
you can pull the vertical shaft the has the flat iron welded on top.
This part has a metal rod connected through a bushing on top so release
the pin 1st. The rod has two large bushings you'll need to remove the
rod to replace. This is were you get dirty. :)

Just use common sense and don't take it all apart at once but do it part
by part.

hth,
TBerk