Re: lighting question/idea

You can put the Hella H4 and H1 bulbs with the smaller Euro lamps on your
stock assembly.
I am talking about the small lamps not the BIG lamps. Both the big and small
Euro Hella's use the same
H4 and H1 bulbs. H4 are the main lights and H1's are the inside lights. To
call the small standard rectangle lamps
non Euro is not entirely true. The fist Sciroccos in Europe had the smaller
H4 and H1 setup.
H4's are Hi-Lo bulbs and your stock DOT (US) bulbs are Hi-Lo too. H1's are
just driving lamps.
You can change out the Hella bulbs for more powerful ones if you want to
when you go with the H4 and H1 setup.
Your stock wires will not handle too much power so do not go too far with
out relays. 55w /65w is about as hot as
I would go with the stock wires. When you run Relays you will bypass the
stock wires.
The Hella glass is different than DOT (US) lamps and the pattern is very
different too.
You will need to rewire the harness to use H4's and I would add relays if
you go for the Hella lamps so you can get more light.
The pinout is not the same on the H4 as the DOT bulb. I made a harness on
one car and the other one I just
broke out the "fast-on" connectors from the stock connector and hooked them
up at first. Then I added the relays later
to get more light and to use hotter 100w bulbs. The MK1 has 4-100w bulbs on
the front. Can you say the Sun
is on the front of your car? I can.

 What are you after? More light for less money? All you "need"to do is
add relays to your sealed "B" DOT's and you will have plenty of light. Shawn
did this and wow it works!!
I have done all the different modifications and I like the MK2's BIG lights
with relays the best.
You will have some trouble with the US bumper cover's trim interfering with
the Big lights. It is possible to do it but
it takes some extra work. I have the Euro bumpers now and I love them.

Next you be asking about the City lamps and the turnsignal that are not the
same in Europe.
The front marker is missing on the Euro version. The turn signal only
blinks. They do not stay on all the time like
the US ones do. Some cars have repeaters on the side behind the front wheel
and this is not a marker eater.
The City lights are the front marker or parking lights. If you don't know
what the City lights are they are small
bulbs that are inside the main headlight.

Have fun

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"