Re: Dallas?

Daun Yeagley wrote:

> > question for the list:
> >
> > will the 5spd from my 86 fit in my 78?
> >
> > --Bret
>
> Yep.  You'll need some of the shift linkage to convert from
> 4 spd to 5 spd though - and I don't know which pieces.  I
> *think* Dr. Frankenberk may be able to help....
>
> ===
> Daun Yeagley

Hmmm,

I have swapped a 4 speed to a 5 speed and discovered after the fact that
you could get by with out all the parts, but-

1. Get the following parts of the linkage;

- The vertical shaft that has a flat iron grafted to it's end.
- The shaft that connects the above shaft to the transaxle is 'almost'
the same, get to unit off the donor.
NOTE: the two ends of this part are not the same, only one is 90
degrees. (without my Bentley I forget which end goes which direction.
sorry)

- All else is moistly the same. See below.

2. Replace ALL bushings when you touch the system. Don't scrimp if at
all possible. The bushing kit is $7-16 bucks US, get one before the swap
and don't leave any parts out.

Thems my late night thinks, any troubles feel free to contact me.

There is no greater feeling (other than making a baby, but this is
almost the same,) than  the feeling of;

"It's Saliva!, It's Saliva!..."

TBerk
PS, Have you considered pushout bearings, seals, tranny fluid replace
with synth, etc.? If not, Why NOT?