Power Steering Removal

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I am considering removing the power steering from my 87 Scirocco 16V. I'm
not a fan of "pinky-steer" and this is not my father's Oldsmobile.

While speculating on the possible snags I may run into, I realized that
there is prolly one of you out there who has already been here/done that and
may have some wisdom to share.

Since the car is outside and it is dark and cold, I am trying to remember
whether any other accessories depend on the presence of the p/s pump for
mounting or belt tension. Just it, isn't it?

I also have a manual steering rack from a Rabbit Convertible (1980, if it
matters). Will this bolt up? Do I need different tie-rods? Will the ones off
the donor Rabbit suffice?

Alternately, is there a way to adjust the amount of assist? (Besides
siphoning fluid out of the system...)(unless that is an acceptable answer
for long-term use...)

Thanks,

Christian
87 16V