RE: MFA wiring

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I dont know if this helps but I retrofitted the MFA system on my 1991 GTI
8v.  Heres the parts you need....

MFA Instrument Cluster
MFA Equipped steering column stalk
Oil Temp sender on oil filter housing
Outside air temp sensor (On my car it was on the inside of the drivers
fender facing out)
Vacuum line that goes from instrument cluster to engine vacuum.

You also need to replace the entire wiring harness from the instrument
cluster to the fuse box
since there are additional wires for the MFA and it is not possible to add
the proper wires to the factory
plug(s) that go to the instrument cluster.

Also you need the wiring from the MFA stalk on the steering column to the
fuse box.

Finally you need the wires from the oil temp sender to the fuse box (1) and
from the outside air temp
sender to the fuse box (2).  These 3 wires are part of the engine wiring
harness so you will have to cut
the donor cars wiring harness open from the sensors all the way to the
fusebox to get them out.  Otherwise
use new wiring but you will have to solder the correct connecters on the
ends that meet the sensors and the
fusebox.  I always find it best to avoid soldering when possible and to
always use the factory harnesses.  Once
you get the wires from the donor car they can be added to your car by
running them strategically to run with
the rest of you wiring harness so they are hidden.

You need to get a bentley manual for you car to find out the proper pin
location for plugging everything in.  Basically
all you need to do is run the wiring like the factory did and plug
everything in....Also, you need the vacuum line from
the instrument cluster to the engine vacuum. It plugs in to the engine
vacuum system by the brake master cylinder
just before the check valve. The line I am talking about runs right along
the firewall.  The MFA uses the engine vacuum
and the speed sensor on the cluster to get average MPG.

One final problem is if you car has cruise control like my did from a
previous mod.  The stock cruise control uses a speed
sensor also to maintain proper speed.  The MFA speed sensor goes in the same
place. If your car has cruise but not MFA
the speed sensor wiring is seperate from the rest of the instrument cluster
wiring and goes straight from the cruise control
computer to the sensor. But on the MFA cars the speed sensor is part of the
plastic wire webbing on the back of the instrument
cluster. So if you have cruise now you may also have to switch the whole
cruise control wiring harness. Instead of running from
the cruise computer to the sensor it would run from the cruise control
computer to the fuse box instead. It would then get the
proper speed signal from the wire from the instrument cluster to the fuse
box that you installed with the MFA....

It sound complicated but after reading over the wiring diagrams for a while
and figuring how it was a routed it is a fairly simple
system to retrofit.  The only hard part is installing all the wiring
properly as the factory did.....