16v charging system woes - help! long

Background: 16v scirocco

Battery gets drained or not getting charged.  Every couple of days I
have to jump start the car.  I have a 200 watt amp and a fuel
enrichment device on the car.

I was having a hard time starting the car (had to crank over many
times until finally would start). I installed an extra ground wire
from the -ve battery terminal to the casing of the alternator. I also
reconditioned the contact of the battery ground cable where it bolts
up to the tranny.  This cured the problem temporarily meaning the car
would start up just fine for a few days.

One day while driving my electrical system went low, my stereo made a
couple of weird beeps and the winshield wipers slowed WAY down, even
when I switched the wipers onto fast mode.  Weird thing is this went
away after about 3 seconds and everything seemed fine.  Next day the
car almost didn't start, but finally did.  the car started fine the
rest of the day.

Next day I lent the car to my dad who left the stereo on while he went
off to run errands.  Of course this zapped the battery (recently
charged btw- I know the battery is good- had it tested, charged).  I
jump started the car and drove it home.  During the drive the
headlihts went dim, stereo made beeping noise.  I get home, and leave
the car running to charge the battery.  The lights go dimmer and the
engine shuts off after a little while.   Refuses to start after that.

Hmmm, what can it be?  I pull the voltage regulator on the alternator
and notice that one of the brushes is about 2mm longer than the other.
 I don't know if this is it, but when I checked the alternator (before
pulling the regulator) it was putting out a constant (for a few
seconds anyway) 14.3 volts which leads me to believe that it isn't the
regulator.

i don't think it is the amp b/c it only turns on when the stereo gets
turned on, and I am not in the habit of keeping the stereo on when the
car is not running.

Does the car have a fuse in te charging system?  If this is blown it
could mean that the battery isn't getting charged even if the
alternator is good.  If so, where the $@#$^!! is this fuse?  I plan on
getting a new voltage regulator for the alternator, but I don't think
this is it (I hope I am wrong though).  BTW I checked the relay that
sits b/w the battery and the headlights and it seems to work fine (I
can hear it clicking when it gets juice).

Any other things to look at besides rewiring the  ve to started to
alternator cable?

Thanks a bunch-- this is getting annoying.

Victor