Re: Head Bolts

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Dave,

You really want to replace the head bolts unless you particularly enjoy
periodically performing this task.

With new stretch bolts, you over tighten them a bit (by spec) and the
tension in the bolts holds them tight.

Once they have been stretched there are two problems:
1.) They no longer retain tension to pull the head tight.
2.) They are now weaker than a normal non-stretch bolts, thus more prone to
snap.

I have found OEM replacement head bolt sets for less than $50, I'm not sure
where you are shopping. If I recall even the ARP conversion from TechTonics
is just over $100...

If you would like a line on a new parts source, drop me a note back offline.

HTH,

tiAn,

87 16V - fresh rebuild last month
stuff.