Wheel size 17's and 18's

<x-flowed>I have 17" wheels on my '87 16v Scirocco, and that is a tight fit. I
actually need to raise it a bit to get rid of some rubbing. The back wheels
are pretty tight. I can't fit a pinky between the tire and arch. I'm sure it
can be done, but not only would cutting be involved, but it would be a
really harsh ride. If I ever get a new set, I would probably do the "16/45
combo. If you do "18's, make sure to look out for any imperfection in the
road.